Wednesday 2 December 2015

Text and Pictures One

TEXT AND PICTURES ONE
#lettering #typography #symbols
Is this text a picture
or suggest images to you?

Yes this isn't suppose to be great art. It's just an image I made for Facebook but let's consider the relation of text and image. 

Our modern ABC script has been in use for centuries and unlike China and those countries that have scripts based on Chinese characters our writing system is not ideographic or pictography bot more or less phonetic with varying degrees fo matching symbol to sound.

However back when manuscripts were often illuminated letters had pictures around or within them especially capital initials and within decades of the development of printing in Europe red ink was used for emphasis and pictures were added to text. 

Ornamental decorative fonts developed at first used basically on frontispieces.

However with modern digital typography we can now mix font types and styles just Within one word or sentence though the choices in Blogger are limited to seven fonts though there are ways around that limit using Unicode and Unihan.

Back to the image graphic I imbedded above and back to the default font 

You probably noticed the use of CHAR and red. 

I was trying to express my state of mind after seeing LOW sales figures and warning my FB friends on my PERSONAL page not my JVartndesign page I was about to vent.

Which brings me back to the first question followed by another.
 Can text suggest images? Or moods?

Is this why text based FB memes are so popular?

I'm going to post some text samples in different font types styles and colors over the next few days. It could be interesting to see how people respond.

Will they Like Share or Comment?





No comments:

Post a Comment