Saturday 13 August 2016

GIMP and Mosaic

#mosaic #gimp #filter

Gimp has a Mosaic filter I have experimented with now and then.

Here's two of my earliest attempts.

copyright Julie vaux 2016


For this one I added the lettering in a font I modified with more shadow to thicken the letters to look like a Roman uncial over a mosaic background.
Its just a bit too smooth ... another attempt

copyright julie vaux 2016

I wanted a mosaic background that emphasized the text so it stood out since this design was used on my Facebook page and the WEB.

This year however I decided to try to get both the background and lettering to work with the Mosaic filter. One tip: Add the mosaic filter LAST.

I wnated a background tonal range more like actual greek and roman mosaics ... so more matte and less shiny ...

copyright julie vaux 2016
unfinished work in progress 

still not quite right so color edits and border added 

another version  closer 

copyright julie vaux 2016
unfinished work in progress 


now the lettering looks much more like the irregular edges you see on ancient mosaics ... so theres about half a dozen merged layers in this 

I'll show you the finished final versions that will become stickers on Red Bubble next week! I may also put one up on Patreon as an reward or Deviant as an example.

A note on color edits - UP the both the yellows and reds but a touch more blue and cyan in the shadows. 

Resizing oddly with the mosaic filter to get it to work on a largely scale for a book cover I give found you have to work small and enlarge at the final edits otherwise the Mosaic effect just becomes a vague bumpy BG texture.

Now for a final comparison  a image of an actual mosaic  Roman Imperial era but Greek lettering!



 MMM next experiment I probably should try to see if Ripple might make the tile edges more irregular?  I have used ochre backgrounds rather than gray since I think it works better in a browser ....after all unlike the greeks I do not have a supply of marble chips and scraps or actual peebles! It needs to work for print and web so I can share it with you !

You can copy and share these images for educational purposes but not for resale !

No comments:

Post a Comment